A Fool's Cry: I robbed a man the other day

Sunday, July 5, 2009

I robbed a man the other day

So, a friend of mine and I were doing security for a car show here in
Moose Jaw this past weekend when something interesting happened. It
was late, after midnight I believe and we were out roaming the parking
lot ensuring no locals were out shopping for after hours hood
ornaments. We had just turned the cornet past the last row of cars,
just past the 1944 Rolls Royce I see a man sitting on the  bench where
we put our stuff. I watched as he began to go through our bags. So I
called my friend over and we began to make small talk with the man
circa few minutes before taking off to do another round of the parking
lot. We walked approximately 100 feet before turning around, and he
was gone. Along with our stuff.  I couldn't help but laugh because
really our stuff was just food and some drinks no big deal.

As we continued to walk I was accosted by that still small voice that
can only be compared to when your mom uses your middle name because
she knows.

"what did he lose?"

huh? (as you can see, I'm pretty quick)

"what did he lose?"

hmmm well I don't suppose he'll Lose any sleep that's for sure.

"what did you take from him?"

Cue the defense mechanisms.
What? What did I take? I just gave my food supply to a man named
thief, so I wasn't sure where this is going.

"what did you steal from him?"

Uh oh. This is the point I began to think about it.  Did I in fact rob
this man?

"Dignity"

what?

"you took his dignity from him."

oh.

By not freely giving away that which i had in abundance I stripped
away his dignity. How easy would or should have been to just give him,
or share with him. Instead of showing him a simple act of kindness

I walked away.

By sharing with him I could have shown him Jesus if only for that
moment. By denying him this I made him steal what should gave been
freely given. Mercy would have broken a cycle that night but I chose
not to. Had I been keeping in step with the spirit that situation
would have been radically different. What was stolen should have been
given. Because I did not give I became the thief. I denied him not
only bread, but also a chance to engage with the bread of life. In
that moment, I denied Jesus.

Walking like Christ isn't easy, but it is good.
 God didn't disown me, but he confronted and reminded me that he loves
that man and desperately wants to reconcile him to himself.

Everyday I try and walk a little more like Jesus. Sometimes I get it
and some dats I don't. Yet God remains faithful and he always finishes
the good works he starts in us.

No comments: